Occupational drivers license lawyer Houston is a good online search for you if your driver’s license is being suspended and you still need to drive to work. What many people are not aware of is that numerous events can result in Texas driver’s license suspension. One of these can be reoccurring speeding tickets, which we can also help with our Speeding Ticket Attorney in Houston services. Once driving privileges are lost, it’s important to comply with the law. You may need to walk to many of your routine destinations, or you may need to become familiar with bus schedules or local taxi services. Not everyone whose license has been suspended is eligible for a work driving permit, and an occupational driver’s license lawyer in Houston can help you understand and take the best advantage of your options.
An occupational driver’s license or essential needs license is sometimes issued when someone has lost their Texas driving privileges.
Occupational Drivers License Lawyer Houston Needed
A driver’s license may be suspended by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) or possibly through the Administrative License Revocation (ALR) Program. In the following circumstances, you are not eligible for an occupational driver’s license and should hire a lawyer in Houston:
- By law, you are not allowed to obtain an occupational driver’s license if you are behind in your child support payments.
- Your license will be suspended and you are not eligible for an occupational driver’s license if a doctor has deemed you unable to drive a vehicle because of health reasons.
- Operation of a commercial vehicle is not allowed, no matter what the reason a person’s driver’s license is cancelled, suspended, revoked, or denied in the state of Texas.
- If your license is suspended because of driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, there is a mandatory waiting period of 90 days before obtaining an occupational driver’s license.
- If you have a license suspension because of a conviction related to intoxication, there is a 180-day waiting period before being able to obtain an essential needs license.
Occupational Driver’s License (ODL)
An occupational drivers license lawyer in Houston is important for help when your license has been suspended. It’s also important to note that an essential needs or ODL is issued only for non-commercial vehicles. These restricted licenses are to be used for very specific things, those being:
- Providing the ability to drive to work;
- Transportation to school-related activities; and
- Handling essential household duties.
Obtaining an ODL
In order for an occupational driver’s license to be issued by a court, it is essential that all required documents be submitted to the Department of Public Safety. For 30 days from the date of the judge’s signature, the court order serves as a valid driver’s license. During that period of time, the request is processed. A couple of the items needed are: a certified copy of the petition and payment of the occupational license fee.
To be certain about submitting everything DPS needs in order to obtain the restricted license, contact an occupational drivers license lawyer Houston.