Contact a traffic ticket lawyer Houston if you receive a ticket for a traffic violation. There are sometimes ticket dismissal options such as completing a defensive driving course. The penalties for a traffic conviction can sometimes be very harsh. In addition to paying costly fines, including annual surcharges, your driver’s license can be suspended, revoked, or canceled. An experienced traffic ticket lawyer Houston can help you with your case.
Negative Consequences of a Traffic Conviction
Even if you have one traffic conviction you face unpleasant repercussions, which is why hiring Traffic Ticket lawyers Houston is recommended. You will almost certainly see an increase in your auto insurance coverage. It is possible that a traffic citation will negatively affect your chances of being hired for the desired job.
What you can definitely count on as a result of a traffic conviction, is that points will be added to your driver record. An accumulation of points can lead to license suspension. Therefore contacting a traffic ticket lawyer Houston is advisable. Texas has a simple point system, as follows:
- 2 points are assigned for moving offenses committed in Texas or another state.
- 3 points are assigned if a moving offense results in a collision.
- 2 points are assigned for all child safety seat violations.
- There are no points assessed for seat belt violations.
- There are no points assessed for speeding at less than 10% over the posted speed limit unless the offense occurs in a school zone.
- Points added to a driver record remain for a three-year period, which is another reason to contact a traffic ticket lawyer in Houston when you receive a citation for a traffic violation.
As of September 1, 2003, surcharges are also assessed against Texas drivers in certain circumstances. The surcharges are due annually for various periods of time and are a good reason to seek the help and advice of a traffic ticket lawyer Houston. The following is more information about surcharges:
- You will be required to pay the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) a surcharge if you accumulate a minimum of 6 points during the preceding 36-month period. The cost of the surcharge is $100.00 for the first 6 points and another $25.00 for each additional point.
- For the following traffic convictions committed during the preceding 36-month period, DPS will assess a 250–dollar charge annually: driving with no auto liability insurance coverage or failure to maintain financial responsibility, and driving without a valid driver’s license.
Do not hesitate to contact a Houston traffic ticket lawyer if you’ve been charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI). Surcharges are much more expensive when the violation involves a DWI, as follows:
- You will pay $1,000 annually for a first DWI offense.
- You will pay $1,500 annually for a second and any other DWI offenses.
- If you had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .16 or higher, the annual surcharge will be $2,000 annually for a DWI.
Contact an experienced traffic ticket lawyer Houston for help dealing with a ticket for a traffic violation. (713) 666-6657